Two passions have directed the life and ministry of Chuck Swindoll: an unwavering commitment to the practical communication and application of Godâ€™s Word and an untiring devotion to seeing lives transformed by Godâ€™s grace. Chuck has devoted more than four decades to these goals, and he models the contagious joy that springs from enthusiastically following Jesus Christ.
Call to Ministry
While on the island of Okinawa during his tour of duty in the United States Marine Corps, Chuck recognized that the Lord was calling him to devote his life to the gospel ministry. With Cynthia, his partner in life for more than fifty-one years, Chuck has devoted himself to the challenge of communicating practical, biblical truth and its application in the context of Godâ€™s grace.
After being honorably discharged from the Marine Corps, Chuck enrolled in Dallas Theological Seminary [DTS]. Chuckâ€™s course of study at DTS and the lifelong mentors he met there have permanently marked his life and the course of his ministry.
Chuck graduated magna cum laude from Dallas Theological Seminary in 1963 with three major honors:
* Harry A. Ironside Award for Expository Preaching
* Christian Education Award for the greatest achievement in the field of his academic major
* Faculty Award for the most outstanding graduate in the opinion of the faculty
Chuck has also received four honorary doctorate degrees in recognition of his outstanding contributions to ministry:
* Doctor of Divinity, Talbot Theological Seminary, 1977
* Doctor of Humane Letters, Taylor University, 1986
* Doctor of Laws, Pepperdine University, 1990
* Doctor of Literature, Dallas Baptist University, 1997
For more than forty years, Chuckâ€™s pulpit ministry has emphasized the grace of God alongside an uncompromising commitment to practical, biblical truth and its application. He has served the following congregations in his pastoral ministry:
* Grace Bible Church, Dallas, Texas, Assistant Pastor, 1963â€“1965
* Waltham Evangelical Free Church, Waltham, Massachusetts, 1965â€“1967
* Irving Bible Church, Irving, Texas, 1967â€“1971
* First Evangelical Free Church, Fullerton, California, 1971â€“1994
* Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas. In October of 1998, Chuck founded Stonebriar Community Church, where he continues to serve as senior pastor.
As a pastor, Chuck has received the following awards:
* Clergyman of the Year, Religious Heritage of America, 1988
* Named one of the top twelve preachers in the nation by the Effective Preachers Program of Baylor University and George W. Truett Theological Seminary, 1997
Insight for Living
Chuckâ€™s congregation extends far beyond the local church body. Through the Insight for Living broadcast, Chuckâ€™s teaching is on the air in every major Christian radio market in all fifty states and through more than 2,100 outlets worldwide in numerous foreign languages, and it is also available to an exploding Webcast and podcast audience. While Chuck serves as chairman of the board, his wife, Cynthia, serves as president and chief executive officer of Insight for Living. They have directed its expansion to become one of the leading radio programs in Christian broadcasting. Their leadership has made Chuckâ€™s messages accessible to 100 percent of the worldâ€™s population. Located in Plano, Texas, Insight for Living now has a staff of over 125 employees.
As teacher on Insight for Living, Chuck has received the following awards:
* Program of the Year, National Religious Broadcasters, 1994
* Religious Broadcaster of the Year, National Religious Broadcasters, 1999
* Hall of Fame Award, National Religious Broadcasters, 2000
Chuckâ€™s prolific writing ministry has blessed the body of Christ for over thirty years. Beginning with You and Your Child in 1977, Chuck has contributed more than seventy titles to a worldwide reading audience. His most popular books in the Christian Booksellerâ€™s Association include: Strengthening Your Grip, Improving Your Serve, Dropping Your Guard, Living on the Ragged Edge, Living Above the Level of Mediocrity, The Grace Awakening, Simple Faith, Laugh Again, The Finishing Touch, Intimacy with the Almighty, Suddenly One Morning, The Mystery of Godâ€™s Will, Wisdom for the Way, The Darkness and the Dawn, and the Great Lives from Godâ€™s Word series, which includes Joseph, David, Esther, Moses, Elijah, Paul, Job, and his most recent addition, Fascinating Stories of Forgotten Lives.
As a writer, Chuck has received the following awards:
* Gold Medallion Lifetime Achievement Award, Evangelical Press Association, 1997
* Twelve Gold Medallion Awards, more than any other Christian author to date
View some of Chuck's best-sellers
Dallas Theological Seminary
After serving as Dallas Theological Seminaryâ€™s fourth president for seven years (1994â€“2001), Chuck became the seminaryâ€™s chancellor in 2001. As the sixth-largest seminary in the world, DTSâ€™s primary goal is to equip godly servant-leaders for the proclamation of Godâ€™s Word and the building up of the body of Christ worldwide, a mission Chuck wholeheartedly supports in his life and teaching. He continues to uphold the schoolâ€™s motto, â€œPreach the Word,â€¯ as he serves in leadership at Dallas Theological Seminary, at Insight for Living, and at Stonebriar Community Church.